Discussion Topics

« Return to Announcements

Compost

Hi all,

Sorry I missed the garden party - hope it was fun!!

I have been meaning to write and inquire about the compost. I have been dumping things in left and right but am not sure about protocol. Should we turn the pile each time we dump? Are compostable plates, cups etc. fair game?

Someone please let me know.

Thanks!

Serena

Replies to this Topic

Hi Serena,

I don't believe we have published guidelines on the compost process; however, if you review the following on how compost works then you can make a judgement as to whether or not the pile could use those elements at this time. If any one else has suggestions please jump in!

A good compost pile has 5 ingredients; nitrogen, carbon, air, water and finished compost. Fiberous materials fall into the category of "air".  

"Soil consists of 45% minerals, 25% water, 25% air and 5% organic matter.The minerals can be divided in three categories depending on size; sand, silt, clay.The ideal mix (or loam) for growing veggies is 40% sand, 40% silt and 20% clay. The reason for wanting a good mix is that sand allows for good water drainage and airflow, while silt and especially clay binds nutrients and holds water for the plants to use.

To create a better environment for the plants, adding organic matter always helps. It binds water and nutrients yet break up the soil if there is too much clay. It provides nutrients in a slow release which mimics nature well. A good source of organic matter is compost.

You can think of compost as a living, breathing organism because there are billions of micro-organisms working to breakdown the material in your compost pile. In addition to compost being full of nutrients (minerals, Vitamins) these microorganisms will do wonders for your soil."  - Deeping Roots www.deepingroots.org

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

Faubourg Delassize Community Garden